Saturday, May 5, 2012

Bee Bee Dissection

Art in Public Places



Artists:  Carol Paulsen and Stephen Plowman  2008



We came across this colorful, funny, whimsical sculpture during our stroll through downtown San Luis Obispo.  It is located in front of the SLO Little Theatre and is entitled "Bee Bee Works His Magic" in memory of Bill Beeson, a community arts advocate and writer.  I fell completely and utterly in love.  As I was taking photographs, however, a smartly-dressed older gentleman walked by and asked me if I was related to the artist.

"No, I just love the sculpture."

He shook his head.  "It's despicable," he said.  "Completely inappropriate to its surroundings and the indigenous rocks behind it."

I chose to ignore him and he walked on.  I refused to let him ruin my delight.  And such is the debate over art in public places.  You either love it or hate it.  Good art is not bland.  It stimulates debate and opinion.  To me, it enhances my life.  This sculpture is good art.  The figures are balanced over an open book.  The sculpture itself is placed in front of a theater, a place of entertainment.  They are enjoying a blissful moment, but once the page is turned, they will topple over.  How often have I wished to freeze such moments in perpetuity.

Thank you to the city planners of San Luis Obispo and to the members of the committee who voted "aye" on this one!

 
Even my travel buddy couldn't help but comment on the piece.  "Isn't the body a little disproportionate?"

I laughed.  "You aren't female!"

No comments:

Post a Comment