Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lake Isabella

Because my travel buddy is an avid windsurfer, he has been going to Lake Isabella for his "fix" every year since 2003.  The wind on the lake is fierce.  This year I decided to go with him.  Consequently, I got him out of the water and into the surrounding areas.  He discovered facts and historical anecdotes that he never knew before.

"You know, we could spend a lifetime and a half traveling around California alone and never see it all," he said.  "The diversity of this state continues to astound me."

"Are you happy I came with you?"

"Yes, but can I go back in the water now?"
Lake Isabella is located three hours north of Los Angeles.  The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dammed the Kern River in 1954, resulting in this reservoir.  At 11,000 acres it is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the state.  The combination of its deep blue water and the Greenhorn Mountains rising above its shore, makes for breathtaking views.
In the early morning, before the wind "goes off", the lake belongs to the fishermen.  Catfish are common, but bass, bluegill and trout are also caught.  We saw lots of jet skis and a few pontoon boats.  Swimming, of course, is refreshing in the ninety degree heat this time of year and that's what Mimi and I did!
Lake Isabella was named by a homesteader in 1893 in honor of Queen Isabella.  The man felt the queen didn't receive enough recognition for her role in the discovery of the New World..  After all, Columbus never would have been able to fund his expeditions without her.  Seems odd to me.    Truthfully, I think it's a pretty name for a pretty lake.  Ya don't have to justify it!

No comments:

Post a Comment