Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wildfires and Martinis

"Mimi, stop!  Where are you going?"

"I'm going home.  I've had it with the wildfires and the heat.  I'm sick of rocks and dirt and old funky buildings.  I need restaurants!  I need stores!  I need people!"

"Um, would a martini help?"

"Yes, please.  With lots of ice and three olives."

Sheesh.



Can't say I blame her.  When we first saw that orange smoke from our cabin above Lake Isabella, we knew exactly what it was.  We had lived through three horrific fires in Santa Barbara.  The last one, the Jesusita Fire, three years ago, was the worst.  We were forced to evacuate our home and went to live with relatives in Solvang for two days.  When we left with our car filled with precious belongings, we did not know if we would have a house to return to; many didn't.   My heart goes out to all those people in Colorado who have lost everything this past week.  A heat wave has gripped the country and fireworks in several midwestern states have been banned today.

The wildfire above turned out to be across the lake, so we were safe.  We went down the hill to the marina and watched the fire crew battle the blaze.  They got it out very quickly despite the high winds that night.  We were able to enjoy the rest of the week, but many of those boulder fields that Mimi and I had been to the day before were now a charred mess.

"And, Mimi, I think I'll have a martini with you.  Lots of ice and three olives.  It helps."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment