Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Latitude Markers

The Big Five.  Major latitude circles, that is.  I don't know a single world traveler who doesn't dream of crossing all five.  The Antarctic Circle.  The Tropic of Capricorn.  The Equator.  The Tropic of Cancer.  And finally, the Arctic Circle.  I've crossed two of them.  (I'm not counting the Equator because I was 35,000 feet above it.)   Imaginary lines encircling our planet.  We can't see them.  But they are landmarks, dividing the earth into regions.

 Seeing every country in the world is an ambition few people can achieve, but to cross all five latitude circles is a possibility.   Once I have placed my feet over all five I can say, "I have covered the world."

Tropic of Cancer, Baja, Mexico

Arctic Circle, Norway



No comments:

Post a Comment