Monday, May 13, 2013

A Night at the Carlton Hotel

Favorite Pit Stops



The historic Carlton Hotel in Atascadero, California, was thankfully saved from the dreadful demolition ball in 1999.  It was restored to its former glory and its doors opened to guests once again in 2005.  My travel buddy and I have passed it many times driving the 101 between San Francisco and Santa Barbara.  "One of these days we have to stop there," we'd always say.   Well, last weekend we did.  And it was so enjoyable, I have added it to My Favorite Pit Stop list.  We will stay here again.

For one thing, it is near the wonderful wine country of Paso Robles and since I intend to visit and write about one hundred wineries for this blog, I'm thinking this hotel is going to be my home base.  It's absolutely lovely.  The rooms have all been redecorated.  Ours was tasteful, comfortable, quiet, and best of all,  it had a big spa bathtub in a BIG bathroom.  Ahhh!

The hotel was built in 1928 and was considered one of the most luxurious hotels along the Central Coast.   I love these old historic hotels.  Staying in them adds dimension to the travel experience.  They are romantic.  Mysterious.  Ghosts often roam the long hallways.  Glass in the windows and doors are so old, images are distorted.  They are quirky and eccentric.

Sadly, we learned the restaurant, Colby Jack's, would be closing the end of this month.  Our breakfast on Monday morning was delicious.  My travel buddy, who is a tea drinker, thought he had hit the jackpot when the waiter brought a large tea press to the table.  Let's hope the new restaurant continues this service.

We'll be back to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment