Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Atascadero's City Hall

It is seven a.m. and men in hard hats are already working.  Ten long years have passed since rehabilitation began on this beautiful building in Atascadero, California.  The San Simeon earthquake in 2003 caused extensive damage to its dome and foundation.  Reinforcement and stabilization were needed if this building were once again going to house city government employees.  Happily, the project is almost completed.  A Grand Opening event is scheduled for August 2nd.
 I look forward to these early morning walks when I am traveling.  I love watching a town come to life in the morning.  I love having the streets to myself.  To walk around a corner and see a building such as this stately beauty, jolts me awake more than any cup of joe.

Atascadero's City Hall  was built in 1924 with native clay bricks.  Walter D. Bliss was the architect.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and added to California's Historical Landmark Registry in 1984.  I have made a mental note to return later in the year.  I want to see it without cranes and mounds of dirt.  I want to see its interior, refurbished to its past glory.
I continue my walk.  By now, my travel buddy should be stirring.  Although I no longer need coffee, the thought of a big, hot breakfast motivates me to return to the hotel.  I pass some interesting buildings, but nothing can compare to the majesty of Atascadero's City Hall.  I am one happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment