Thursday, March 31, 2011

Princeton Edition: Berkshire's & Twistee Treat

Princeton has two ice cream places I've been wanting to try since winter. Now that I'm here for Spring Break, Chris finally took me.

Berkshire's Old Fashioned Frozen Custard
I first saw a Berkshire's in Beckley, but didn't have the chance to go. It seems it's a West Virginia special restaurant, but the web seems to be lacking that info. Anyway, we walked inside, and I was already excited. I didn't know what to expect of "frozen custard," but essentially, it's ice cream. It's a bit less creamy, and the coldness doesn't seem as harsh. I opted for a vanilla/chocolate twist in a waffle cone, and I wasn't disappointed. After trying the frozen custard, I found I prefer it to ice cream. It is a bit thicker, so there's a little bite to it. The taste was also fantastic - perfect blend of chocolate and vanilla that could please most. I could describe what chocolate and vanilla taste like, but it's pretty basic. The cone was so huge, I couldn't even finish the last bit. I'm excited to try more of their flavors of the week (which change every Tuesday).
Grade: A



Berkshire's Old Fashioned Frozen Custard on Urbanspoon


Twistee Treat
Located a little further out of the way, Twistee Treat is a little ice cream cone-shaped building, complete with a drive-thru and a half-dozen tables and chairs, that serves ice cream cones, sundaes and hotdogs. I decided on a turtle sundae (I'm a fan of caramel, in case you haven't noticed), and Chris decided to get the grossest named one: the dirt cup. His consisted of vanilla ice cream with Oreo cookie crumbles and sour gummy worms. I'm not a big fan of sour gummy worms, especially with that mixture, but he seemed pleased. I enjoyed my sundae - ice cream wasn't bad for what it was, but the nuts on top were overbearing, and at the bottom of the sundae cup, there was about an inch and a half of just nut/chocolate mixture. I couldn't eat that - I tried to mix the ice cream with the nuts, but the ratio just wasn't cutting. However, you can't go wrong with a vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and caramel. Just hopefully the nuts are lighter next time.

Grade: B
Twistee Treat on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment