Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Arts and Crafts by the Beach


A woman walked by me last week with the most amazing necklace.  It was made of tiny pieces of iridescent green fabric.    I stopped her and asked where she got it.  "The Sunday Arts and Crafts Show down by the beach,"  she said, and like the typical local I am, the only time I go down there is when I have company.  I had completely forgotten about this weekly event.  Nearly two hundred artists set up booths every Sunday from 10 am to late afternoon at East Beach by the wharf in Santa Barbara.  They sell pottery, jewelry, leather handbags, photographs, paintings and sculptures--all handmade, beautiful and one-of-a-kind.   

I found the cloth necklace, but chose this scarf instead.  It reminded me of strips of seaweed that wash ashore up and down our beaches.






I also found this knitted hat.   Although not unique, it was handmade and the colors are gorgeous.  It will be perfect for a trip to Germany I'm taking next month.  (And it was only $20!)


I am becoming more and more convinced that accessories should be purchased from local artisans.  Such talented people deserve our patronage.  It helps the local economy and assures that cottage industry will never be totally replaced by Big Box manufacturing.  I shudder to think!



BUY LOCAL




No comments:

Post a Comment