Sunday, September 18, 2011

Shopping on Main St.

Although these pictures were taken along Main Street in Ventura, California, this blog is about shopping on Main Street, U.S.A.  I have an ongoing debate among friends.  Mall vs. downtown shops.  Costco vs. the Farmer's Market.  Target vs. United Thrift.  Which is better?   The debate gets pretty heated, at times.  These friends cite the advantages of free parking and one stop shopping.  I counter with quality, freshness, individual style.  They counter back with cost, and I respond, "Not necessarily so."

I have seen first hand how the Big Box stores have killed little mom and pop shops.  I cross America and every town along the way is starting to look the same.  The same stores, same restaurants, same fashion.  I simply do not understand this week's stampede at Target to buy Missoni.  Do you really want to look like everyone else?   



Mimi's Friends       

"Besides, " I argue.  "Shopping Main Street is just plain fun."  Who wouldn't want to go into the above shop and buy these dresses right off the mannequins?  Where else can you buy ox-blood red pumps from the 1950's, a mink cloche and warm cozy Pendleton jackets?  On Main Street, you can buy complete outfits and be guaranteed you will not see your clone on the other side.  You can sit down at one of many restaurants and enjoy hot homemade food and not be rushed.  In Ventura,  I had my choice of Italian, Indian or Mexican and not a single one was a franchise!  It makes for a perfect afternoon and not a single one of my friends can argue with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment