Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sintra, Portugal

Once upon a time . . .

Europe is full of fairy tale towns and Sintra, Portugal is one of them.  Sintra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and oozes charm around every corner and atop every hill.

down narrow streets
across castle ramparts
and through Lilliputian monasteries.
ooze
ooze
ooze
 We decided to make Sintra our first destination in Portugal, so we rented a car at the Lisbon Airport and drove the 28 kilometers to this lovely lovely place.  "We have arrived in Thee Europe," my travel buddy kept remarking the whole time we were here.    Jet lag had hit us particularly hard and I was happy to do nothing but roam this ultra-picturesque town for a couple of days.  Staying at the Quinta de Sao Thiago  helped .  We had a hard time finding this old villa though.  There is a tiled sign on the road but it is so forested we didn't see it the first time we passed by.  It used to be a monastery so its walls are thick and covered in moss--just one more example of a place oozing with charm.

  Steps lined with potted plants led up to our antique-filled room .  I threw myself on the bed and fell instantly asleep until  4 a.m. when  I woke to the muted sounds of a piano sonata floating around in my head.  The lady of the house apologized at breakfast. "Did I wake you?" she asked.   We assured her it didn't bother us.  We had gone right back to sleep we were so tired.  I dream about Sintra all the time.  I would go back in a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment