Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Tornado and the Dress

Terrifying images of monster tornadoes have dominated the news this week.  The destruction in their wake has been tragic and my heart goes out to everyone in the Midwest who has suffered from these storms.  It is why I am so intrigued by a new designer, Kaelen Farncombe, who sounds like a nutcase chasing after tornadoes, except that I get it.  I absolutely get it.  Having grown up in Kansas, whenever the sirens went off, instead of heading for the basement like a sane person, I ran outside to see if I could spot one of these freaks of nature.

The steel gray skies are reflected in the fabrics Farncombe uses for her Spring collection.  It is the sky, before and after these storms, that are so beautiful and that have inspired her.  I am definitely making another trip to Los Angeles soon to buy one of her pieces.  I, too, am captivated by the colors of silver, slate, pewter and navy blue--all the colors of a sky heavy with conflict. Below, Mimi models some of the dresses I own.  Did these designers chase after tornadoes, too?

Babette Dress


Jigsaw Dress

Embe Dress

No comments:

Post a Comment