Thursday, August 25, 2011

Phang Nga Bay

Phang Nga is a bay in the Andaman Sea between the island of Phuket in Thailand and the Malay peninsula. Massive limestone cliffs in bizarre shapes jut vertically out of the warm shallow waters.  It is both beautiful and strange.  There are 42 islands all covered with forested wetlands, especially mangrove trees--28 different species of them.  From Phuket, we took a touristy trip to "James Bond Island" (Koh Ping-gan)  along with hundreds of other boats and hundreds of other people. (Behind me in the photographs.)   Big mistake.  In hindsight, I wish I had hired a private boat to take me throughout the bay, behind and around the islands and inside the caves of these magical formations.  I would have had my guide kill the engine to gaze at the view in solitude and silence.  I should have been reluctant to get off the boat.  Not relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment