Friday, January 6, 2012

Hap-pea and Pea-wee

Favorite Pit Stops



I have one rule when I'm driving on a long road trip:  No Fast Food.  It means allotting extra time, but part of the fun of travel is discovery.  I like to take off ramps into the business districts of little towns.  I look for those mom and pop diners with lots of pick-up trucks outside.  I'm guaranteed a fresh pot of hot coffee, and if I'm really lucky, homemade banana cream pie!

Such a place is Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton, California.  Although it's not exactly a mom and pop diner, they are famous for their split pea soup.  I always order their Traveler's Special--unlimited soup, iced tea and a basket of pumpernickel and onion cheese bread for $9.50.  Hap-pea and Pea-wee are the names of the two comical chefs.  They appear on billboards up and down Highway 101, and they always make me smile when I see them pounding those little peas with their great big mallets.  Besides the restaurant, there is a bakery, a cheese shop and a gift shop with some pretty cool stuff.   It's a pit stop worth checking out!
Hap-pea Travels!  (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment