Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Lowest Points on Earth


Sea Level Sign Above Us

Badwater Basin in Death Valley, California has the dubious honor of being the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere.*  It is an ugly, vast wasteland of salt--the ugliest place in the park, but the most popular.  Tour buses lined the parking lot and people of all nationalities poured out of them to have their picture taken by this sign.

My travel buddy and I were more interested in the maps that were displayed here.  We realized that we have  been to the lowest point in the world.   As we studied the maps, we relived that adventurous day back in 1987 when we drove to the Dead Sea, determined to go swimming there.  As we approached, we were stopped at a guard post.  "Your letter of permission, please," the guard said.

"What letter of permission?"

Well, we had to drive all the way back to Karak and get one from the local police station.  It was already late in the day, but we were determined.  After going on a wild goose chase all over town, trying to locate the right desk, we finally got the precious letter and sped back to the guard post.  They were both surprised and amused that these crazy Americans actually did it.  A guard jumped into our car and drove us to an abandoned school by the edge of the Dead Sea.  We were not allowed to take photographs.

 A watchman then let us through a fence and allowed us to swim, never taking his yellow eyes off me.  The water, of course, was warm and slimy.  Salt got into my eyes and I started to cry.  The watchman motioned for me to come with him.   We followed him back to the school where he chased a boy and three small goats out of  an empty room.  He pointed to a hose attached to an old rusty faucet and we got the message.  We took turns rinsing off with fresh water.  I  quickly put my clothes on over my wet swimsuit and walked back to the car.  My travel buddy stayed behind and gave him a tip.  He seemed pleased and beckoned us to stay for tea, but we declined.  The man was way too creepy!



Can't say Badwater Basin was any better.  These low elevation sites are interesting places, especially for travelers like me who want to go everywhere, but they always remind me of what lies below.  The earth's inner core is as hot as the sun.  Are these places gateways to hell?

*When we returned home we found out Badwater Basin has recently been demoted to second lowest place in the Western Hemisphere.  Laguna del Carbon in Argentina is now Number One at -344 ft.

"Darn.  Well, I guess we'll just have to go there," my buddy said.

Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment