Monday, August 15, 2011

Blue Mountains

The Most Beautiful Places on Earth 


Today I begin the first of a series of places on my list above.  I'll try to add to it periodically.  I'm a very tough critic and very few places make it to this list.  The place has to be drop dead gorgeous, so gorgeous it makes me gasp, and my traveling buddy has to drag me away kicking and screaming.  Most of the places are very dramatic, but not all of them. Some of them have a quiet beauty.  My photograph may not capture this, and I'll try my hardest to describe why the place made it straight to the top.  I hope in future travels I discover many more places to add to my list.  It is what this blog is all about--the search for beauty and magical moments in this great big world of ours.


I begin with the Blue Mountains, located in New South Wales, Australia.  I don't think anyone will disagree with me. After all, in 2000 the Blue Mountains became a World Heritage UNESCO site.  The deep gorges are surrounded by eucalyptus trees and a temperate rain forest.  The 100 meter limestone walls are papered with ferns and moss.  The Three Sisters are the most famous of the rock formations but Orphan Rock, a solitary pinnacle, was my favorite.  The most stunning vista of all was Govetts Leap with Bridalveil Falls tumbling downwards.  The blue haze which covers the mountains completely bewitched me.


I definitely left this place kicking and screaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment