Friday, August 19, 2011

Union Station

Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles is a frequent destination of mine whenever I need a quick travel fix.  I hop on the 9:20 Amtrak at Santa Barbara and I'm there by noon.    The train station is known as the "Last of the Great Railway Stations."  With its travertine and tile interior and streamline moderne and mission revival decor, it never fails to transport me back to the Golden Age of Travel.  It was opened in 1939 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.  It is still the hub of train travel in L.A.

The Traxx restaurant is located at the end of the station and there is seating in the outside garden patio as well as in the lobby.  I always have lunch here before venturing out into the crazy world.  It is a peaceful place amid all the chaos of the station. (And the prawn and avocado salad is delicious!)  At the end of the day before I hop back on the train for home, I stop there a second time for a chilled glass of chardonnay.



No comments:

Post a Comment