Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mimi Wears Bamboo

"What is this delicious fabric?  It's so soft and breathable."

"It's rayon.  Made from bamboo."

"Buy more of this fabric.  Please."

I bought this maxi dress at a day spa while in Avila Beach.  I've noticed certain eco-labels are carried by these businesses as part of their "wellness" persona.  The dress is perfect for the holiday season, and I've already worn it to one party.  Mimi's right.  It is so soft and comfortable!  I tried on several sequined tops and dresses, but couldn't bring myself to buy one.  Now I'm glad I didn't.

Depending on who you talk to, rayon is either a natural fabric or a synthetic one.  Rayon comes from plant cellulose, a sustainable source of raw materials.  In this case, the raw material is bamboo.  Bamboo grows rapidly and requires no water or fertilizer so it is very sustainable, but is it "green"?  The stalks require harsh chemicals to break them down into wearable fibers.  Organic solvents can be used in processing rayon, but bamboo is a pretty tough plant.
This particular dress is made in the United States by Alternative Apparel.  Their website is very lengthy and informative.  They have a strong responsible ethic when it comes to choosing vendors.  Twenty-five percent of their clothes are made in the U.S.   Besides bamboo rayon, they use organic cotton and recycled polyester for their clothing.  They make sure only low impact dyes with no heavy metals or toxic substances are used.

As someone who loves fashion but can no longer ignore the environmental issues surrounding the industry, I find buying this dress is a step in the right direction.  Has my carbon footprint shrunk a little?  I think so.  At least I didn't buy sequins!

No comments:

Post a Comment