Thursday, February 2, 2012

Camel Crossings

When I first arrived in Saudi Arabia, I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting culture shock.  I got Kentucky Fried Chicken, Safeway and Pizza Hut instead!  I wanted my money back.  It wasn't until I drove beyond the city limits and saw a camel slowly crossing the highway that I finally felt I wasn't in Kansas anymore!
This domesticated creature is the single-humped dromedary which thrives in the deserts of Saudi Arabia because it can live without water for extended periods of time and can withstand high heat.  They provide milk, meat and transportation for the people living there. Eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I  bought a camel steak from a local butcher.  I made a stew that lasted three days.  It was pretty good, but I couldn't bring myself to do it again.  The camels, especially the little ones, were just too darn cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment